Date: Wednesday, April 19, 2017

I wanted to spend today doing absolutely nothing.

The weather was meh; skied looked pretty though. But no matter the beauty of the sky, after all the walking we did the day before, I was dead. I wanted to stay in bed all day. Lazy about. Do nothing.

accurate representation of my morning

But I’m an adult. I have responsibilities.

M and I used this day to regroup, replan, rethink, reprioritize.

We were really hoping the school would pan out. It would have opened many doors, potentially fix some short term issues. Most importantly, it would have helped with getting our hands on a long term visa.

But there are other ways. We spent the day researching and I came across so many informative, helpful blogs about work, visa, how to get around, and bunch of essential things. I’ll be posting the information as each becomes relevant.

Our first hurdle: the visa. There are several different types available.

I. Tourist Visa: We’re currently using a tourist visa.

  • Anyone with a valid passport from most countries can acquire one online. They provide you with list of eligible countries.
  • It’s $20 bucks.
  • Print it and keep it on you. Having a printed copy of your visa make the check in process easier at the airport.
  • Caveat: It allows you stay for 90 days within 180 days.
    • This is a point that wasn’t completely clarified for us. From what we were told/understood: you can stay 90 days, leave for a day, and come right back in. But that’s not how it works.
    • To word it better: Within a 180 day period, you can only stay a total of 90 days.
    • Example: Say you’re planning on leaving Turkey on September 30. Count backwards 180 days & that puts you at March 30. Between March 30 & September 30, you can only stay for a total of 90. Leaving the country doesn’t restart your allotted 90 day.

II. Short Term Residence Permit (STRP): valid for up to 12 months. This one takes a little more work/effort. To get it, you’ll need:

  • A valid entry permit (holding a tourist visa or otherwise works)
  • A valid passport
  • Funds in a Turkish bank account for as long as you’re planning on staying.
    • It’s currently set at $500 USD a month. You will need a total $6000 USD in the bank for the 12 months.
  • Foreigner ID Number- Yabanci Kimlik
  • Turkish Tax Number- Vergi Numerasi
  • Proof of address
  • Valid medical/health insurance

III. Student Residence Permit (SRP): valid for up to 12 months. Now this permit/visa works for students in primary/secondary schools & students in colleges (associates, undergrad, grad, post grad). This also apply to students of all ages in an exchange program. What you’ll need before starting the application is exactly the same as the Short Term Permit with one a few added things:

  • Letter of consent given by parents if person is under 18
  • Student Certificate- given from the school the individual will attend.

IV. Work Visa/Permit: you can get one that’s valid for up to 1 year ($50), 3 years ($150), indefinite period ($250).

  • It takes about 6 weeks for this application to be processed.
  • You need to have a letter of job offer and an employment contract.
  • Important note: this should be made from your country of origin/ home country via the Turkish Consulate unless you currently hold a Residence Permit that is valid for the next 6 months.
  • There are some occupations banned to foreigners. There are some occupations that are exempt from needing a work permit. The list can be found here.

V. Family Residence Permit (FRP): valid for up to a 2 year maximum. This permit/visa is for a select group of individuals.

  • A foreign spouse, married to a Turkish citizen
  • A foreign child of a spouse married to a Turkish citizen (step children)
  • Dependent foreign children of a spouse married to a Turkish citizen (i.e: dependent, younger siblings)

Before starting the application, you’ll need everything from the Short Term Permit list: valid permit, passport, bank funds, FIN, and TTN. The process is slightly different in that it needs to be done from both ends: the foreign spouse and the Turkish citizen. They require an official document regarding the marriage.

VI. Long Term Residence Permit (LTRP): valid until 2099- 82 years! What’s required for this visa/permit is the same as the Short Term Permit with one added thing:

  • You have to have continuously resided in Turkey for at least 8 years.

Since this permit is basically issued indefinitely, it cannot be extended. Obviously.

Overstaying Your Visa: If you stay longer than your permit allows, there are serious consequences:

  • 1-15 days overstay: no ban + fines
  • 16-90 days overstay: banned from re-entry for up to 90 days + fines
  • 91 days or more overstay: banned from re-entry for up to 6 months + fine.

The fines depend on your country of origin and how many days of overstay you incurred.

Info Overload
Yes. I know. I’m sorry lol

Didn’t intend for this post to be so information heavy but I’m writing it because I wish I had a comprehensive list like this before coming. Something that explained things simply.

Note: The information above isn’t completely up to date. Valid as of 8/25/2016

After all that information searching, we had our plan B. We celebrated with some tea (about to OD on this stuff) & fruit.

FullSizeRender (2)
Simple and healthy.

We ended the night by tossing & turning for a few hours which lead to a promise of no more tea after 3.

Keep us in your duaas!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s